Sunday, October 3, 2010

Expanding the horizons (in a wrong way)

In my younger times, I used to play video games and try to expand the horizons; that is, I would try to do certain actions that game prohibits, unavailable until certain conditions are met, or against game's unwritten rule. For example, my all time favorite computer game, in 'Uncharted Water II', or any of those game series, you were supposed to gain your stronghold in your area (generally in Europe, but in later series it allows you to start a characters in other areas, such as Indian Ocean or Asia), but once I know the game way too well, as soon as I start the game, I would exploit certain routes or beat computers that are available in much later games.

As Nielson distinguish among aesthetic strategies, couple of particular items caught my attention; to be precise, there is one video of a certain game's review that totally destroys its space. not only this game's developers created such a game that ignores all the law of physics, every common sense, and inside game's geographical features.

(It's called Big Rigs, and the reviews can be found here:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD3OfVVVI88&feature=related

(there are multiples of it, but I am thinking those two are really funny)

As we are playing under the game developer's rule, it is important that we are playing under his/her rule, and sometimes it is fun to break it once in a while, but, I wonder what would user would react if they created certain games that has no rules whatsoever (closest I can think of is Ultima, but it still has a goal and such)

what do you think about it? do you think those games will attract much fans? and do you know any other games that are as bad (or, as awesome!) as big rigs and such?

No comments:

Post a Comment