Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sound and Music

I still remember my first experience with game music. It was with my first computer, 486 with 66mhz CPU (it was overclocked from 50mhz) and did not have sound card. Therefore, I believed that there was no music in the games I have (I was relatively young at that moment).

Then, imagine the shock I felt, to see my friend's computer; not only it was equipped with windows 3.1, It had sound and music! if I knew Spanish back then, I might have shouted viva la musica!



(by the way, the composer of this MIDI file, Yoko Kanno, is still one of my favorite musician/composer of all time. For more of her works, I suggests listening OST of Cowboy bebop, other 'Uncharted Water' or other works)

Music and sound present environments to the player. By using those sounds and music, players are able to figure out not only basic information but the surroundings as well. It especially holds true in FPS games, where you could tell by the sound of bullet or others and able to tell where it came from.

As Nielsen describes sounds as three functions in contemporary games, The environment, Spatiality, and Physics, I believe those three functions do effect users simultaneously and sometimes even without user's acknowledgment. For example, anyone played MGS or zombie-hunting games would react to the sound without your mind reacting; sometimes your body reacts automatically without your will (it precedes your will or mind) and it is largely due to the function of sounds provide.

Nielsen speaks of sound functions as Vocalization, sound effects, ambient effects, and Music. I believe, however, Music does play a huge role and deserve its own categorization, because although sound is important, good game OSTs travel throughout time and space, and become a cult.

Great example I present you now, is from Tetris.



Some musics are even worthy of its own album, such as in KOEI's epic series of 'Three Kingdoms'. After the 5th edition of computer game, their music became so popular that they released their OSTs in CDs.


What are some memorable game OSTs you recall? what are some experiences you could share with us?

PS: Below are one of my favorite openings of all time, Three Kingdoms V (or Sango V)

2 comments:

  1. Of course, Nobuo Uematsu's music (Composer of the Final Fantasy series) is among my favorite. I am also a fan of Motoi Sakuraba (Composer of the Tales series).

    For those interested in some great OSTs from games that I have played, here are just a few of my favorites:

    - Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross
    - Dark Cloud (1&2)
    - Kingdom Hearts (1&2)
    - Final Fantasy (I - XIV)
    - Eternal Sonata
    - Lost Odyssey
    - Mega Man (1 - 10) / Mega Man X (1 - 5)
    - Rogue Galaxy
    - Saga Frontier (1&2)
    - Seiken Densetsu (1-4)
    - Sonic the Hedgehog
    - Tales series
    - Star Ocean (1-4)
    - Terranigma
    - Valkyrie Profile (1&2)
    - Wild Arms (1-5)

    ... and the list goes on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tom:

    Ooh, you do spot some good ones! haha I agree with you that Nobuo Uematsu's music is one of my favorite as well.

    those are very interesting lists, is it possible for you to share some of them?

    ReplyDelete