Monday, September 20, 2010

Narrative games

Nielson discussed the importance of narratives in games and whether or not it is possible to successfully tell a story through the game. Many support the idea that it is not possible because of the dynamic of gaming. In my opinion, we are asking the wrong question.

Books, movies, and other traditional “story telling” mediums are presented as a finished product. People can simply pick up a book and read or watch a DVD to understand the plot in a movie. However, with games, the player is actually living the story. That is not to say games that follows a strict narrative does not exist, it is just not as popular because the current trend is more sandbox based but still retains some sort of story.

Games with a strict narrative: Harry Potter series

Games with a narrative that encourages creativity: Fallout3

Harry Potter series along with other book/movie based games follows the plot exactly as it is. Basically, if the player read the book or watched the movie, then he or she will be able to expect what’s going to happen until the end of the game. Games like Fallout3 provide a general narrative with cut scenes but ultimately, it is the player who decides how he or she wants the story to be written. Players will face decisions that will ultimately alter the game’s progress.

Personally, I find that most of the games that I’ve played had a pretty good narrative. One pattern that I realized is the complexity and emphasis on “good plot” in successful franchises. Games such as Starcraft, Warcraft, and GodofWar3 all have solid plots. The newer versions and renditions of these games emphasizes the plot by adding more video sequences between missions or during missions to educate the players.

Question: Do you like the games with linear storyline or ones that allows you to shape the story as you play along?

3 comments:

  1. I prefer games that allow me shape the events as i play, i prefer these types of games because they make me feel like i have more control and input into the plot. They also give me more of a sense of accomplishment when i finish them because i know that my decisions lead me to beating the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love linear ones, but not so strict; I do like to have some options open for me on how to finish a game; but linear is fine for me.

    case in point: one of my favorite game was FF8, and as we all know it is pretty strict game, I do have choices on how to play it along (I forgot to draw siren but it did not matter at the end)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Similarly to Jinhyuk, I really enjoy linear games. I feel like games provide so many options now that it is easy to get lost, and lose meaning. For instance, I've played nearly 45 hours of Elder Scrolls Oblivion and am technically on the third level of the main story. The same thing happened to me when playing Mass Effect. For some reason people have a vendeta against traditional role playing games (turn-based). Those happen to be my favorite mainly due to a strong emphasis on story.

    ReplyDelete