Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A visual to show just how far gaming systems have come

All the components of the Atari VCS ( courtesy of ifixit.com)



I found a post on Joystiq that has to do with what we have just discussed in class. It links to a site that shows classic consoles like the Atari 2600 VCS looked like when you took them apart and a little about each component and what it did. It really gives you an idea of how simple the technology was back in the 1970's compared to todays modern gaming machines and gives a great visual to all of the technical parts of the article by Montfort and Bogost.


You can find the link to the post Here 

6 comments:

  1. Looking at the picture above made me realize how much our technologies have advanced within couple decades. It is very interesting how simple 1970's Joystiqs look, when comparing with those controllers for Xbox 360, PS3 and WII.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny because this system was considered such a high level of technology and was also priced at 200 dollars. It makes me wonder where technology will go in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember having Atari, but I remember owning one of the similar consoles that cost us fortune to acquire, and I enjoyed it throughly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a similar article on Atari 2600 teardown at Kotaku along with Maganavox Odyssey 100 and RCA Studio II game consoles. I can't imagine and believe that many people actually enjoyed playing these game consoles. I bet they should have experienced similar thrill and joy as we play Playstation 3 now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a user's point of view, I believe that the complexity in console video game controllers has reached its peak. Now that consoles are focusing more on motion capture, like the Wii or the Kinect, the amount of buttons on the device has reduced drastically. It seems more intuitive to grasp the control for new users.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_2600
    Here I found a link to wikipedia about Atari2600.
    If anyone wants to learn more about the console's design, history, and legacy, they should check this out. I've learned a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete